Wednesday, December 25, 2013

My Dubai Experience!

Assalamu Alaykum/ Hi,

My time in Dubai came to an end last Saturday morning. I thought that I would share my thoughts and experiences in Dubai.

When I was preparing to come to Dubai, I had preconceived notions of this grand and glamorous city. Dubai is like that. It is very grand and glamorous make no mistake about it. But, that's not all that there is to it. If that's all you care to see, then that's what you are going to see. However, if you go to the older parts of Dubai, to the Gold Souk and the Spice market in Deira. You will see 'Old Dubai.'

The difference between places such as Business Bay, the Marina and Deira is quite stark. 
Dubai Marina

Deira -Gold Souk

Dubai is not a walking city. Coming from NYC that was odd to me. I'm used to walking to get to my destination. It seems to me that people make up for it by going to the malls to walk around.Which can be quite annoying when you are actually shopping in the mall because it's overcrowded for no reason. Children are running around everywhere. It can just get a little chaotic.

While we are on the topic of children. It seems anybody that is anybody in Dubai or pretty much everyone has a nanny for their children. I've seen children with nannies before in NY but not so many of them and not when the children's parents are with them either. It just seemed so surprising to me. Because from what I learned of Middle Eastern culture family is very important. But, then it seems as if the children spend more time with their nannies than their parents. In one of my classes there, the professor discussed the problem. She said it's causing children to form a bond with their nannies and not their parents and it's becoming a problem in the Middle East.

The architecture in Dubai is amazing! The buildings are so grand. Would expect anything less from the city that has the world tallest building? I think the buildings felt so huge to me because they weren't all next to each other. In NY, there are building but they are so close to each other that you can walk right by them and not even notice their size.

I've been home for a few days now and I think I have reverse culture shock. When I went to Dubai, I didn't experience culture shock at all. But, at some point Dubai became the standard for me. NY seems so dull. I miss the glamour. 

It's not just me either. I became friends with other study abroads and it seemed like none of us wanted to leave. I definitely want to go back. I would love to be able to work there inshAllah. I guess I'll have to see what's in store for the future.

So, That's it,

Until Next Time

No comments:

Post a Comment